hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Blogger Etiquette 101

12.03.2007

Blogger Etiquette 101

I've been into reading blogs as of late. So into it, that I think I've read more blog entries in the past week than I have in my whole life. It's not boredom really, just pure curiosity. There are so many bloggers out there writing both personal and topical entries (those are actually blog terms... I learned that on a blog today). Among those, each blog is very specific to the individual writing it. They have their own style, their own lingo and their own way of expressing themselves.

I personally love the more laid-back, personal format. It's a little more friendly and serves the idea of a blog a little better, I think. But then there are some that happen to take the friendly banter way overboard. For example, I was reading a blog today (which for the purpose of this conversation, we'll call blog x) and it was cute. The design was pink and trendy, very girly and written in a fun and friendly fashion. Being the curious cat that I am, I think, "Hmmm. This is a good writer. Who is she?" I click on Blog X's bio, or whatever she happened to name it. I get to the pop-up page and I suddenly realize this is a long one. No biggie though; this blogger is so good I'm sure her bio is interesting, right?

Ten minutes later, I give up. I literally now know the name of the town the girl was born in and that she prefers to sit with her feet propped to having them on the floor. She hates roller coasters but loves airplanes. Hmmm. So, in fear of sounding like my blogger friend here, what's my point? Simply put, whatever your style, don't ramble! Sure a blog is meant to be a personal diary and such; a place where you can simply enter whatever comes to mind and not really care if all your friends read it or not. But if your profile alone takes ten minutes to read, that's just plain silly. People have zilch for time at this day in age. Better make those stories short and sweet.

No comments: