hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Googling Oneself

11.30.2007

Googling Oneself

A blog that I really enjoy is The Savvy Gal's Guide to Online Networking. While the blog is filled with info and tips on promoting oneself online, it's also wonderfully written. Highly recommended.

Regardless, one of the tips I read recently was about subscribing to alerts by any major search engine. When someone publishes something about your company or your name online, you receive an email alert. It's a great way to monitor your company's image, and to know what your name is being posted on. Taking this advice, I signed up for Google alerts right away.

I'm thrilled about this major time saver as I've actually spent a lot of time Googling "13thirtyone" previously just to review what appears. The strangest things pop up! Wedding vendor sites from Denver and Texas that I didn't ask to be on, all kinds of weird design directories with my company info and loads more. Somehow my name is just copied ten times over! I guess it gets my name out there, right?

In any case, try Googling yourself or your company, on the off-chance that you haven't already, and see what shows. Furthermore, I suggest subscribing to these alerts, especially if you're a start-up like myself. We can't afford to look bad on anything.

No comments: