hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Online Networking

11.28.2007

Online Networking

Lately the trend seems to be online networking. Businesses are not just using blogs and websites, but utilizing Facebook and even mySpace. I can't help but wonder if these resources for keeping in touch actually work.

In reading one of my favorite blogs by designer Dani Nordin of the Zen Kitchen, a recent post states that Facebook is beneficial to her. So much, that she's addicted to it! While I'm glad to hear things are going well, I have to say I'm a bit hesitant about joining myself. Could it be the negative connotations that go along with Facebook and mySpace? Are there really that many business owners out there that take the time to network on these sites? While finding a new audience to communicate with is always a plus, I feel that my style tends to be a little different.

When it comes to networking, I'm a firm believer in showing your face and giving a person the opportunity to truly remember who you are. Dani's feelings about networking, in itself, seem to be the same. In reference to networking, she states,"Turns out, now I'm addicted. There are many reasons why, but the primary reason is that it adds a more personal level to professional networking - I can get to know people on a deeper level than just their work history or immediate needs. And this, to me, is what real "networking" is all about - creating a network of mutually supportive people."

My only question is, how personal can it really be behind a computer? Is networking on these sites looked down upon by other business owners? Any thoughts to help me out?

For the full post by Dani, visit her post, What I'm loving about Facebook."

No comments: