hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: The Proposal

11.26.2007

The Proposal

One of the most overrated pieces of design work, I feel, is the coveted proposal. Sure it's helpful for clients in selecting a designer and their proposed design solution. But how much sense does it make, really?

I have found that the proposal walks a fine line between suggestions and spec work. Let's be frank, a client puts out an RFP because they want to see what a designer envisions for them. Great. But being the visual creatures that designers are, how do we tend to best communicate our visions? Through example graphics, diagrams, sketches, etc. So what's the difference between providing a client with a proposal filled with mini-graphic samples and mock-ups and providing a full-size mock-up piece in itself? Aren't they both versions of spec work in one way or another?

There have been a few clients recently who have come my way and asked for a proposal. While I'm happy to compile my thoughts and professional suggestions for them, I try my best to avoid using designs in the document. Furthermore, it only creates the possibility of plagiarism. There are the few bad apples that would think, "I have your ideas, and how it's supposed to look exactly! What do I need you for now?" Sounds paranoid, I know, but I have to watch out for my business. This can make things tricky.

When I do have to put a proposal together, I choose to include photos of the current client's materials, store, etc. I simply create an editorial out of them, compiling my thoughts on how to improve each scene in the corresponding photo. I don't provide sample design work - the work that I would actually execute had I been handed the job. The format goes something like this:
1. Intro (a brief summary of the problem)
2. Problem(s)
3. My Suggestions
4. Notes/Appendix

Many people suggest including a budget and/or a timeline in this document. But for me, I prefer to be a little more realistic. The client should have told me both of those things before I was requested to submit my proposal. And if they haven't, I know that my ideas better be pretty adaptable, or if insanely necessary, I ask. So that's that. The proposal in a nutshell. :)

No comments: