hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Here's a Thought

12.12.2007

Here's a Thought

I'm really into finding ways to promote myself and my clients that's a little different than what most people would do. In earlier posts I've blogged about sending unique holiday cards, different self-promotional ideas, etc.

Today, I'm working on an ad for myself. It's a full-color, half-page horizontal for a bridal magazine. Because advertising is so insanely expensive, I want to make sure that I put my dollars to good use and create something that's sure to get some attention. While working on my brown and pink piece of art, I was going through the motions and placing a snapshot of a previous invitation design that I had done in the ad. But then I stopped.

Every wedding invitation designer and their brother include a photo of their work. Make sense - give the prospective customer something to look at so they can decide if they're interested or not before they call. But what if, and this may be a little crazy, I don't show a photo? What happens if there's no sample of my work in the ad? What if my ad purely arouses interest and curiosity and drives the reader to call or go online that much more? Hmm...

While I hate to experiment while my advertising on the line, I have a good feeling about this. I'll let you know how it works out.

No comments: