hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Keeping It Real

12.20.2007

Keeping It Real

Isn't weird how the saying, "When it rains, it pours" is so accurate? Client work seems to pick up or slow down at the same time, referrals roll in all at once or not at all, and compliments from caring clients come in bundles. Strange.

Yesterday was a good day - it was one of those few client appreciation days, meaning, I received many kudos and thanks all at random. Of course it makes me feel good, but I think more than anything else, I learned something.

One of the repeated phrases was along the lines of, "You're very honest and real. You don't try to be a salesman." At first I thought, "Uh oh. I need to start selling a little more." But then I realized, why would I change something that seems to be working? I've thought back to several experiences with said clients and I guess I can see where I was honest and open, while your typical salesman-type would be pushy and give you the old spiel.

For example, if a client asks me to post a video on their website, I'm honest. "I don't know how and I've never done it before. That said, I have a lot of resources at my disposal. I can talk with my network of web developers that I sometimes farm out work to, or there are loads of articles, blogs and references online. I'm sure I can get it done. There will be a learning curve, but of course that won't be on your dime."

Another instance is selling. A client once asked me, "Should I do search engine submission? Do you think this really helps and is this something I can pay you to do?" Dollars for 13thirtyone are always a good thing, but I can't lead my clients astray. In my opinion, you can only do so much to attract traffic and gain exposure for your website. There's a line where you're just wasting dollars that can be spent elsewhere. I happen to believe SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a great thing. But SES (Search Engine Submission) is a bit over the top for me, personally.

A final example is the art of snatching clients. While I would love to bring a new client on board with me and to help them out, I can't persuade them if they're not interested. I can explain my process, my services and what I'm all about as a designer. I can show them my work and the solutions I've created for clients in the past. But if that's not enough, it's okay. I don't beg clients to join me.

All of these scenarios have brought a lot of positive feedback. I'm not trying to toot my own horn in this post. I'm simply trying to share what seems to be working as far as client relations go for myself. Maybe it'll help you out too.

No comments: