hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: A Blogging No-No

12.21.2007

A Blogging No-No

I use my blog to promote my business, my passion as a designer and to give the occasional "go green" plug. I think blogs are an awesome opportunity to give clients and colleagues a more personal vibe and to throw a few educational tips out there.

There are a lot of business owners out there that have two or more blogs - one for business, one for personal use, etc. While I'm in favor of blogging to your heart's content, for whomever your audience may be, a business owner still has to be very careful of what they blog about and where.

I came across a designer's blog today that I totally love and respect. Their ideas are great, their posts very educational and their style of writing is really fun to read. I saw a link to their personal blog and couldn't believe what I was reading. Let's just say bust-size measurements are a major no-no! Being that people who view you professionally are reading your blog, why would you link to your personal one given the totally different change in tone? Why not think about editing your personal one further in order to avoid faux-pas such as this?

Obviously we all have freedom of speech and can say whatever we think wherever we want to. But as a business owner, I can't help but feel professional standards have to be met in almost everything that we do. Tsk, tsk...

No comments: