hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Times Are Slow? Give Back.

12.11.2007

Times Are Slow? Give Back.

We all run into it. The phone stops ringing, incoming emails are only from those pesky retail stores having a sale, and the communication with clients is slim to none. There's no work coming in, which sadly, means fewer pay checks.

I often find it humorous that as designers and business owners, our knee-jerk reaction is to spend some cash on advertising when things are less than steady. But when you think about it, why would we drop at least a couple hundred dollars on a print ad when we know that times are tight? I have a tried-and-true solution (well, for me anyways) that not only brings in business, but makes me feel good.

When there's little to do, I hunt for a pro-bono client. Whether it be a non-profit that I support or a small start-up business, I try to find someone who is need of design services. This allows me to give back to my community while giving me exposure, creative control, and a new portfolio piece. Furthermore, I'd much rather spend my slow time designing instead of checking out the afternoon's latest headlines on CNN.com.

In finding this candidate, I do a little research. Where is there a client located that could give my work a lot of visibility? Is there a non-profit organization that I feel truly honored to help and would love to support their cause? Is a friend trying to start up a business, but just doesn't have the funds to promote themselves? These are all good finalists. I can't stress enough how important it is to feel good about the work you're going to donate - it's the one thing you'll be receiving for your time.

While this idea may not have the phone jingling off the hook within a few weeks, it may have a lasting effect. For as long as your client's business or non-profit is up and running, your work will be on display. Treat the client right, and you should see some referrals as well.

No comments: