hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: working from afar

8.16.2007

working from afar


In just a few weeks I will be working from the remote location of Montreux, Vaud, Switzerland. My husband is shipping out to his business headquarters and, luckily, I'm in a line of work that allows me to tag along.

Montreux is a tiny Swiss village at the base of the Swiss Alps just next to Lake Geneve (see map). We visited last year for a few weeks, but this time around I'll be there for a month. While the location is breathtaking, I'm very happy that I can bring my work with me. I remember last year I read three books in two days (bad ones, too).

For the past month or so, I've been preparing my clients for this slight transition. And funnily, while I do work with many of my clients long distance already, a seven hour time change thrown into the mix could be a shock.

A question a lot of people ask me is, "How are you going to work while you're gone?" The answer is simple. I will continue to work full-time during my relocation. Thanks to email and the Internet, along with an international cell phone, my communication lines will remain open. Of course, I expect a few calls at midnight, but this is the price of relocating myself for a month.

I do think that this could serve as a very refreshing time for me. I'll be away from most of my distractions and have a lot of new inspiration. Not only with the sites, but in being able to see design and advertising at work on the other side of the globe. Don't worry... I'll be sure to leave notes while I'm there. And maybe post a picture or two.

2 comments:

Chris Bolmeier said...

Angela,
Oh that is so wonderful, I am so happy that you will be able to have a change of scene and take your work with you. (and your husband too)

Please send pictures. Keep us posted. Be safe.
Chris Bolmeier

Laura said...

At least you will have a cell phone to call me!!