hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Feng-Shui for Design?

8.03.2007

Feng-Shui for Design?

I attended this meeting the other night that discussed the art of feng-shui and how to apply it to your work and home "spaces." I was so intrigued that I've decided that my weekend will consist of feng-shui-ing not only my office, but my entire house!

Basically, what I learned is that feng-shui is based on the philosophy that the placement of the objects in your house or office (even your pencil cup) affects your energy, thus your life. There's a grid called a "bagua map" which is divided into nine equal sections. This grid is applied to any surface in feng-shui. Each section of the grid, or "gua," has an assigned meaning with a corresponding color and natural element. For example, the top left portion of the grid is the wealth section. The corresponding color for this is purple and the element is wood. Therefore, this portion of your house should have purple objects, objects made from wood (such as candlesticks, etc.) and living plants that grow very straight and upright.

If you can apply this complex way of thinking from your home to your office and to even your car, can it be applied to design? Do you think that if I designed a poster layout, for example, and one area was specifically based on wealth, another on reputation and another on career, it would have any effect on how well the poster was received? Would people be more drawn to it and would it be a highly successful marketing tool? I just might have to feng-shui my next design and find out.

1 comment:

Chris Bolmeier said...

Feng-shui is a very interesting study. I hear if you have a fountain in front of your business it represents wealth coming into the doors. Alot of banks have fountains in front of the building, ever noticed? I'd like to feng-shui my car, but first I'd like to find the rotten apple core that's been hiding somewhere in the car since I puchased it 9 years ago. Or maybe if I feng-shui it first it could help me find it.