hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: designer's remorse?

8.24.2007

designer's remorse?

I subscribe to an e-newlsetter called Robert Genn Twice Weekly Letter. As illustrated by the name, it's an email letter I receive twice per week in regards to this man's thoughts on painting, art and life in general (while I am a graphic designer at heart, I dabble in the occasional painting as a creative outlet).
Today, the newsletter focused on "painter's remorse." Robert stated that just like buyer's remorse, a painter can look back on a piece when finished and stress over their strokes, color choices, etc. Refer to the article excerpt below:

You've no doubt heard of "buyer's remorse." That's where you go out and buy a new Volvo and immediately start thinking you picked the wrong colour, should have bought the Turbo version, and paid more than you needed to. Painter's remorse is a similar situation. Both fall under the frequently studied condition known as "cognitive dissonance." Having committed yourself to something, you soon find your second thoughts getting the better of you. All seems well when you're building toward those final strokes, but in its frame and under another light it begins to fall apart.


After reading this, I definitely could empathize. Not only do I have painter's remorse after working on my personal art, but I definitely feel designer's remorse as well. Did I make that font too bold? Is that stroke large enough? Is the concept really there? While I get the idea, does the audience?

It's a strange thing because while working on a design or logo, I get very excited and am completely focused. I submit the idea and feel great about it for about an hour. Then, remorse sets in.

I suppose this feeling is something that helps me to always want to be better at what I do. It's sort a personal competition to "beat my last design" and feel more pleased with it. If most painter's seem to have painter's remorse, than I'm guessing I'm not the only designer in this particular boat.

No comments: