hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: That Fuzzy Feeling

8.07.2007

That Fuzzy Feeling

A few months back, a prospective client had come to me with a need for some design help. During our first meeting, she was explaining to me the values of her start-up and how passionate she was about it. Her business was selling hand-made jewelry. This jewelry is not your average looking, homemade stuff. It's very high quality and well crafted. I love it so much that I literally bought a necklance right off of her neck once.

The other night I was out with some friends and wore the necklace. I received compliments on it like crazy! Of course, being a small business owner myself, I was sure to give her credit and offer contact information. Yesterday, I decided I'd let her know just how much praise this necklace had received. I felt really good about the gesture, as I'm sure all business owners love to hear when someone truly appreciates their product.

But then I was thinking about it - instead of spending a chunk of change on postcards or an email marketing subscription, why not use a genuine note or two to keep in touch with past clients? I certainly wasn't trying to sell anything. I wasn't offering a "tip" or "trick" that someone didn't really want to hear. I simply passed along a nice note and tried to make a person feel good. I think that's much more effective marketing of myself and my business...and it's free.

1 comment:

Chris Bolmeier said...

Angela, I also feel that writing a personal note to a client that you haven't spoken with for a while will remind them you're there for them. And you would be surprised to find that they may have been thinking of you just before they received your note. Christerical