hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: a trend

9.12.2007

a trend

There's a trend I've been taking notice of lately in graphic design. I think it's been around for some time, but is becoming more and more prevelant in everyday advertising and graphics. This style is a blend of type and photography meshed with sketches, doodles and hand-written wording. To me, it is reminiscent of the scratchy renderings I'd find on the top of my classroom desks in highschool.

I'm developing a true appreciation for this style, as I feel it brings design from computers and art made by hand closer together. When finished, a cool and almost retro/vintage feel remains. Will it work for all clients? Most likely not. However, you can see in the wedding shoe advertisement below, that I applied this process to one of kick's pieces. It's not as raw, as it has a need for elegance; it has to speak to the right audience. Consequently, the fun and playful message the ad evokes is true to the client's character.

The other two are examples I found of this design trend from printmag.com (Print Magazine's website) and freepeople.com, a clothing boutqiue.



No comments: