hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Research, Research

9.24.2007

Research, Research

Currently, I'm working on several identity projects for new clients. In beginning the process, it's important that the client give me as much information about their business as possible - their exact services or products, what their client demographic looks like, future business goals, etc. Without this info, it's nearly impossible to create a logo that reflects the true personality of the business.

But these general questions are only the tip of the iceberg. When working on an identity for a new client, I often ask for details so minute that I have people emailing photos of what their furntiure is going to look like. Sound needy? It is, but is has to be.

The logo is one of the most important parts of a company's image; I consider it the business's "wrapping paper." It's what people see and it's definitely part of what makes people want to interact with a company, or not. I feel that asking a client about what their mission statement says is just as important as figuring out what the building itself will look like, or if clients will receive any sort of unique goods or services.

In having all of this information, I feel that as an "outsider" to the client's business, I can fairly assess what type of image it is they're looking for. Furthermore, if a first logo proposal doesn't work out, it creates an even more solid foundation for discussions and revisions.

No comments: