hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: a little light reading

9.26.2007

a little light reading

I'm not sure how many people reading this are thinking of one day starting their own business. Such a task can seem daunting, intimidating and consuming. When I was ready to leave my full-time job at an advertising agency to start my own thing, I wasn't really sure how to go about it. I couldn't afford not to have a dependable income and the thought of having almost no clients to start with wasn't too appealing either. However, I knew more than anything that I wanted to run my own design business; it was just a matter of getting there.

I started reading up on how other people made the leap. I figured that I could do some learning from their mistakes. One of the best pieces of inspiration and guidance was The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube. This book is filled with not just motivational tips, but actual step-by-step suggestions for even a person who's indecisive about what type of business they'd like to start.

I found it to be incredibly helpful and, in all actuality, a real page turner. Suggestions for networking organizations and websites are also inserted throughout. I strongly suggest to any gal looking to go out on her own!

No comments: