hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Condensed Proposal Format

1.04.2008

Condensed Proposal Format

One thing that I'm not afraid to complain about is writing client proposals. I absolutely loathe the task. I feel there's nothing that takes more energy than trying to capture all of my creative juices and transform them into an essay. Yuck.

I recently found a book called "Selling Graphic Design" by Don Sparkman. There just so happens to be a section purely dedicated to writing proposals. And the best part is, they're not long proposals either! I recommend picking up a copy of this little resource, but I'll supply you with his super simple, short and sweet outline in the mean-time.

1. Capabilities Statement: Don states, "This is your area within the proposal to show why your company is the best suited for this project. It can contain a history of the firm as well as past experience your company has had in managing similar projects."

2. Project Overview: "This part of the proposal contains several key elements that explain to the client what you perceive the scope of work to be, as well as what they will provide... Show some thinking on your part." Don recommends including a background paragraph about the project along with a work requirement section. This section is a "complete description of the project's specifications such as: size, number of pages, etc."

3. Technical Proposal: "The technical proposal is a description of the scope of work from your point of view as well as your insights as to how the project's production process can be improved. This is not a free design consultation. It is meant to show the client that the designer isn't going to approach your project with a cookie-cutter or standardized method."

4. Cost Proposal: As explained in the title, this is the area where a breakdown of costs would occur. While a number may be presented, it should be made clear this number is only an estimate, not to be taken as a price.

Other elements Don says you may want to include are a timeline, a client list, as well as your trade customs or contract.

2 comments:

margauxagency said...

This was extremely helpful! I have taken your advise on another book and now here is one to add to my list. Thanks again!

angela said...

Monica,
I'm so glad you find this info beneficial! I hate writing long proposals so I knew this was the format for me. Plus, clients seem to like the condensed version as well. Regards,
Angela