hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: The Power of Posting

2.26.2008

The Power of Posting

I, too, was always skeptical of online forums. Posting and chatting online seemed to have such a "nerdy" connotation to it, and furthermore, could it really be that helpful?

As one of my approaches to social marketing, I've been posting and commenting in forums more than ever before. Not only do I respond and offer feedback to other individuals, but I post my own questions and topics as well. Having taken part in online discussions such as Biznik and HOW magazine's online community, I now understand that this type of networking not only can position you as an expert in your field, but it can generate referrals as well.

The Savvy Gal's Guide to Online Networking (Or What Would Jane Austen Do?) quotes a designer and small business owner I very much admire, Dani Nordin of the Zen Kitchen. Dani Nordin offers the idea that including your email address, business name, website and other contact information in the signature of your forum post gives people direct access to finding out more about you. If someone is impressed by your post, they're likely to take the time to research who you are and what you're all about. Not only have you gained possible clients, you've also increased your search engine rankings.

Taking the time to post in online forums can be time consuming, but networking and learning from peers is well worth the effort.

No comments: