hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Dealing With Competition

10.15.2007

Dealing With Competition

Competition, in my mind, is always a good thing. It pushes us along and keeps us on our toes. Being in a suburb of the Twin Cities, the market I live in is currently saturated with graphic/website design firms, agencies, and freelancers. So how does a person make their mark while so many others are trying to do the same thing?

In my experience, there are a few tricks that I've found to be helpful. First and foremost is style. The way that I design and the look of my product is very unique. My love for vintage-style work and retro graphics sets me apart right away from other designers. While this look may appeal to some prospective clients, it could also turn a few away. The nice thing is that people who approach my business have usually already checked out my site. They know the type of work that I do and they tend to already have a sense of who I am as a designer. My work samples and promotional materials attract a certain audience, and I appreciate this because I know I won't be forced to design in a style that doesn't fit my personality or my business.

The second thing is exposure. By creating brochures and keeping them sprinkled throughout my town, entering contests for design, and by often attending networking groups, people can put a visual to my business name. When they hear or see "13thirtyone Design," I want them to be able to know myself or know my work. This way, I won't blend in with the "yellow page" designers.


Finally, and unfortunately, is the daunting task of researching the market. As said before, the area in which I live is completely congested with designers. While I am a member of my local area Chamber of Commerce and Professional Women's Network, I also try my best to pick up clients in other cities. Lately, I've been working with some new clients from La Crosse, Wisconsin. This is great for me because the area is looking for a new designer's style. Furthermore, I know my competition isn't really looking for work there.

Co-existing with the competition can be a little tricky. But it doesn't have to be a bad thing. It only pushes me, personally and professionally, to grow in different directions, ones that aren't as obvious at first glance.

No comments: