hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: the contract

10.05.2007

the contract

I can't even begin to stress how important it is to have a contract when working on a project with a client. Time and time again I've heard stories from designers regarding not getting paid, clients not finishing a project or designer exclusivity issues. Seldom, for me, do I have to enforce points in my contract. However, when a rare situation does arise (and they have) I'm so greatful that I have it.

So where does one get a contract and how do you know what to put in it? Luckily, AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Artists) supplies a free contract template. This is actually the contract I use today with all my clients. It covers everything from copyright issues to expenses. Furthermore, I know that if it's pusblished by AIGA, it's probably pretty secure in terms of protecting the designer. You can visit http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/standard-agreement for the Standard From of Agreement for Design Services. There's also other paperwork and guides that may be useful.

No comments: