hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: the look

5.17.2007

the look

Not much to report these days. I've been keeping a steady flow of clients coming in and out the door, which is great. I love being busy, but more importantly, I love being busy with my own business.

I try to read a lot of books offering tips and tricks when it comes to operating a design company. I take some of it and leave the rest, but it's always good to at least hear perspectives from those professionals who publish their adventures in business. Some of the tips are very humorous such as, "Don't curse and use profanity in your emails to clients. This will give a very unprofessional impression." I grin at the thought of an entrepeneur diliganty highlighting and nodding in agreement.

One of the points I did read recently that stuck with me though, was something referred to as "the look." It refers to when you're in a casual setting (cocktail party, wedding, making small talk over dinner, etc.) and someone asks you what you do for a living. When you are able, after all of your hard work and diligence, to respond, "I own my own business," there's a look the person gives you- a look of surprise, approval and respect. At least that's what the book said.

I've had this encounter myself a couple of times and I don't know if I get such an extreme response. But there's definitley a cock-of-the-head to the side and a small smile, usually followed by, "How interesting. What type of business?" I do think this is very satisfying. And it's very exciting to tell people you essentialy took the road less traveled. Oddly, I've noticed that people seem genuinly interested in what you have to answer...

I'll keep reading and let you know of any other interesting looks or odd tips I pick up in the meantime.

No comments: