hidden hit counter
notes from 13thirtyone: Process, Process

6.19.2007

Process, Process

I can't stress enough how important I've learned establishing a process is when it comes to design and doing business.

The many books, magazines, websites, etc., I've read most of the time tend to say the same thing, "make sure you decide on your process and no matter what happens, stick to it." I have found this little sentence is so important and true. My process is simple, when it comes to design and dealing with my clients.

I offer a free consultation appointment and then deliver a free estimate. Not a mock-up, though. Just the estimate (mock-ups get into that whole spec work thing and you know how I feel about that...). I give the client about 15 days to get back to me with their signature of approval and the first 50% deposit. After the 15 days, the estimate is no longer valid. Side note, though - I would never let a client "hang out" for 15 days. That little timeframe is filled with emails and phone calls for follow-ups.

After I receive the coveted signature and the first deposit, work begins. I'll create whatever the designated project calls for and then we go from there. When the project is finally approved and ready to go, the remaining 50% is due within 30 days. After that, late fees start accruing, etc.

So, that's my process. And, I do stick to it. The thing that can be difficult to deal with though, is the client that want you to bend the rules for them... just a little bit. While I try to be fair and flexible with clients I have a strong relationship with, I find that just doing the same process over and over is the best way to go. There are less exceptions to the rule to remember and not a thousand payment plans to keep straight.

What do you think? Do you think a designer's process is a case-by-case scenario? Or is it a rule set in stone? Is it worth bending every now and again for the client's sake?

No comments: